19/10/2011

Pea Green with jealousy






For a long time now me and my sister have talked about getting together to write a children's book. With my sister currently studying a degree in primary school teaching, she has a vast knowledge of what children like and has asked me to create the illustrations - we make the perfect team! I've been researching for a while now, looking at different styles of illustration for some inspiration. Initially I first thought of the most famous childrens book's illustrators, such as Quentin Blake and Maurice Sendak, but it's only when i had a look at an old favourite book from my childhood that I became aware of Kevin Waldron.

I love his simplistic yet very characterful illustrations and the tone of the colours he uses compliment each other to create colourful, but not garish, friendly pictures. The images above are taken from my favorite book 'The Owl and the Pussy Cat' - a book that must have been read to me a million times before. Seeing these lovely illustrations brought the childhood memories of the story flooding back, it's definitely one I am going to have to track down and purchase, not only for the story, but the lovely images too!

No comments:

Post a Comment